The Old Parish Church and graveyard of St Johns, is a designated Scheduled Ancient Monument, thought to have been founded in AD 1004, with the remains of the structure on site at present day considered to have been built during the 16th century. The rectangular building measures 29.4m east-west, by 6.65m north-south and is located atop the cliffs, overlooking Gamrie Bay to the East.
St John’s Church is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and the Statement of National Importance states “The monument is of national importance as an example of a late medieval church which is the last of a probable series of churches built on a site which has been in use as a focus of Christian worship since the twelfth century and possibly earlier. As such it provides evidence and has the potential to provide further evidence, through excavation, for ecclesiastical architecture, social analysis of burials, material culture and parish organisation in medieval Scotland.”
BDG Thomson Gray provided Quantity Surveying and CDM Advisor services on the project.
The completed conservation work tended to the required for the repair, consolidation and stabilisation of St John’s Church and graveyard boundary wall.